Pages - Menu

8/02/2016

Questions You Don't Have to Ask

Perspective, Found objects board
Do you challenge your brain? Grease your wheels with learning when you don't have to? Do you step outside the routine to forge yourself a path to being brighter? After graduating from the formal learning experience, learning doesn't stop. We learn to do this, that, and those as a normal part of living. There may be times when that feels like studying for finals, researching a term paper, taking a math course or reading Kant. There may be times when taking in new information makes you feel like you've discovered thee best frosting on a cupcake that will ever be in your known universe. No matter what feeling is generated, there is a measure of opinion formed from a lesson.

How much control you manage over being challenged brain wise may not be what you think of first thing every day. How about after lunch or just after watching the evening news? A good time is whenever you feel like it or have it written down as your routine. How to start? How about choosing a question you've pondered? For example, recently reading an article about the smartest person in the world, for fun I Google: iq test. I take a couple of easy online IQ tests that don't require a website registration. I notice the math questions produce a marked different reaction. At first I try to figure out, and then, I just pick a number. Certain that shame will follow when I see the results, I'm surprised I'm not that stupid. The majority of questions aren't math. Thus, balance saves my day. Another thing I see is the difference between how the questions are asked on the two tests. One has questions that feel sharp and direct, and the other more smooth and pleasantly presented. I scored more points on the latter.

Fluffed up with a brain feeling spiffy, I begin to question why the math frustration reaction. I search the Internet for: Why do complex questions frustrate? Reading the results, I focus on the word, Complexity. Ah ha! The keyword to the area I believe has the best promise (to help me learn). Can I can get back the nice reaction to math I had first learning Algebra? Possibilities swirl.

Sketching is to the brain what walking is to the body is a belief I've held for decades. Will drawing math questions help open the blockage numbers signal to my brain? I feel its different than a mere math anxiety. It feels to be like a thorn on a rose with no color or scent. And asking myself questions I don't have to ask feels like brain power blooming.



2 comments:

  1. Such a beautifully written post-I don't think you have to worry about your brain at all! Interesting....have you tried Lumosity? I've not done it yet, but heard it can be fun and beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Debra,
    Thank you. Luminosity is nice. However, I worry about leaving how my brain works on the Internet. Instead, I play simple games that require basic thinking where high scores are as important.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting
Polite comments are welcome